Our approach to patient care would rather use naturally occurring substances to help better balance our bodies’ natural homeostasis; rather than use a synthetic drug to mask the developed result of that same imbalance. Return to a youthful state with cosmetic restoration.
The following steps are an example of a common approach to PRP injections for hair loss:
- A medical professional draws blood from a vein in the arm.
- They place the blood sample in a centrifuge.
- The centrifuge spins the blood, separating its components.
- A medical professional extracts the platelets using a syringe.
- A trained medical provider injects the platelets into targeted areas of the scalp.
- Biologics, growth factor, biotin may be added depending on level of thinning.
The entire process may take about 1 hour, and several sessions may be necessary. After receiving PRP treatment, a person can usually return to their regular activities without any limitations.
Researchers have found evidence that PRP can lead to renewed hair growth. However, due to the limitations of these studies — such as small sample sizes — and the variation in technique and protocol among doctors, further research is necessary to confirm effectiveness over a large population study.
At present, anyone with mild-to-moderate hair loss who is interested in PRP should ask a doctor whether they are likely to benefit from the treatment. Consultations via online and in-person are offered at IHS of Tampa Bay.